The Holiday Break is around the corner and with all the hustle and bustle it can be easy to forget ourselves. As leaders we are always serving and thinking of others, often forgetting about our own needs. In order to come back in January, we need to make sure we are intentional about the time we take off. It does not do us any good to give to others and then come back tired and not ready for the second half of the year.
- Take a day off from EVERYTHING. Yes, you read right. When was the last time you stayed at home and just enjoyed doing nothing? Grab your favorite movie, cup of coffee or tea, and relax.
- Stay away from email- Seriously, there are no students at school and if there is an emergency, they will call you. Delete the app for the break and focus on you and your loved ones.
- Be Present- This time of the year bring many together. Listen, be in the moment, and enjoy being with those close to you. Time flies and relationships are strengthened by spending time together.
- Try something new- Have you been thinking about eating, learning, or going somewhere different? Go for it.
- Look at simplifying your life this coming year- Think about some areas of your life where there is clutter. Is it your schedule, closet, commitments? Commit to remove roadblocks to things you know do not add value to your well being.
It is important to remember that we can’t give our all to our students and family if we do not take care of ourselves first. So go ahead and give yourself the best gift ever: Focus on YOU.